Saturday, July 28, 2012

You'll Never Know If You Don't Give It a Shot

I have come to appreciate the principle of trying things even if you have no idea how they will turn out!
At the end of my Junior year in Highschool I was debating in my head whether or not I would take AP Studio Art my Senior year.  I decided against it and the first week of my Senior Year I decided to change my mind and switch from Art 3 to AP with out actually thinking too much about it. 
Ap Art was so hard and took up the majority of all my time. I spent hours and hours in the studio and hours and hours at home trying to start and finish project after project.  Part of me hated all of the work and thought multiple times of completely dropping the class, but the other part was curious as to how I would do in the end.  When I finally submitted my Portfolio to the Ap Center I had no idea what was going to come of it.  I had seen all of my fellow AP classmates (all 7 or so of them haha) excell and go above and beyond and had seen all of the INCREDIBLE pieces of art that they had all worked so hard on.  I had watched their portfolios progress and seen how fantastically their pieces tied together.  Basically  I was thinking, ugh..these people are all going to get 5s and I am going to get a 2!  I was almost embarrassed by my portfolio compared to all of theirs.
I just received my AP scores last night and I got a ...Drum roll please...
4!!!
If I would not have switched from Art 3 to AP, or if I would have given up half way through it I would not have had this and would not have gotten this credit! I am so so happy.  All of the work, blood, sweat, and tears,--seriously ALL of that--were actually worth it! Who would have thought!?
Okay, another one about art :) Earlier this year my Grandpa DuRee mailed me this flier about an International Art Competition that the church was putting on for the Youth.   The theme was 'Arise and Shine Forth' and you could submit anything.  So I worked on a piece of a young woman cutting her hair.  Tied up in her hair were words that dealt with worldy things and imperfections.  Cutting her hair symbolized cutting out all of these worldly things and imperfections.  I thought that this would be one of the very first steps in arising and shining forth because in order to set an example for others, you have to first cleanse yourself of your sins and such.  First they judge the digital pieces and the essays, then they select some to be sent to the Church History Museum in Salt Lake City, UT.  There, they will be displayed from November 2012 to June 2013, and they will all be judged a second time.  Twenty will be selected for awards.  I submitted it in the spring and I just heard back a few days ago.  And guess what!?  My piece is going to the Church History Museum baby!!! This is very exciting for me because I never win anything. haha   If my Grandpa hadn't pushed me to go for this competition, I definitely wouldn't have.  So I am thankful for him and glad that I was willing to give it a shot.   Everything is at least worth trying--okay everything that is good is at least worth trying.


    

No comments:

Post a Comment