Monday, August 27, 2012

Spare Time

You can tell a lot about a person by what they choose to do with their spare time.  This week I have been pretty...well, yeah. Bored.  It seems everyone is off to school--facebook proves that with all of the dorm pictures and "first day of big girl school" Statuses--and I am like, "When is it going to be MY turn!?" 10 more days! Why does BYUidaho start so late? I have no idea.  Hopefully what I do in my spare time says something about me too...

In the mean time, I love being here with my family, but they are only really here in the evenings.  All of my siblings are off to school at about 7:30am so Mom and I just chill out. 
I have taken up running (or jogging and walking hahaha) 5ks, but you can only really do that before about 8am.  Although, even at 8 it is still over 80degrees! I try to go at about 6, but that has only happened a few times. It was supposed to help me get into better shape and hopeful shave off some lbs.  Instead I am getting a pretty cool tank top tan.  It is still just as hard to do a 5k as it was on the first time.  And my time is AWFUL! but that's okay I guess. As long as I am getting the exercise in. 

Monday night for Family Home Evening, we went to the Mesa Temple Grounds.  It was sunset and stormy and beautiful.  We walked around and made sure to touch the temple--because "when you touch the Temple, the Temple touches you"--and then went into the visitors' center and watched Joseph Smith the Prophet of the Restoration.  That movie is a tear jerker.  Mom was practically sobbing down the row. It was a wonderful experience to go to the temple with my family.

I have also gone school shopping and to lunch with Mom.  I love spending time with her.  I have missed that so much this summer, and I know I will be missing it a lot this next semester too. 
Dad took the two of us out to Yogurtopia last week too! That was super yummy, but nothing tops LuLu's.  I'll admit that I am a tad biased though ;) 

Also, lots of Pinterest...and the occssional  TLC...

Saturday, we had a BBQ at our house with some family friends we knew back when we lived in Tucson.  It's truly wonderful that true friendship never really dies.  Even after years of not seeing each other, we can still pick up right where we left off. This whole thought process gives me hope for my friends that I left behind in Colorado. Anyways, it was a blast swimmin' and playing spoons with the Parks and the Elletts. 

Dad set me up with some Doctor's Offices to do some volunteer work (required for the BYUi Nursing Program admission).  I haven't actually done anything yet, but I hope I will be able to this week. I already know what kind of nurse I want to be, but volunteering anywhere would give me hours, plus experience all over the field.  I REALLY hope I can get in some hours while I am here.  If not, then I definitely will when I am off-track.

Last Summer at the beginning of June, I started to read the Pearl of Great Price and the Old Testament.  I stand before you today--kind of--I write before you today--and am proud to say that 1 year and 2 months/1,226 pages/1,202 chapters later/COVER to COVER, I have finished the Old Testament and Pearl of Great Price. It took me a really long time, but it was worth it.  I am so glad that I read and studied the entire book, not just so that I can say it, but also because it is such a powerful book.  It is full of connections to the New Testament AND Book of Mormon.  I got to watch the Heavemly Father chasten, correct, and love his children, even though they were wicked at times.  It is sad that some of the people had to be destroyed because of their wickedness, but as the Book of Mormon says, "It is better for one man to perish, then a whole nation to dwindle in unbelief." Or something like that.  Many people ask how the atonement can be seen in the Old Testament and I would tell them, that it is everywhere.  (Isaiah 1:18, Isaiah 6, Isaiah 8:14-17, Isaiah 53:3-5, Jeremiah 46:28, Zechariah 3:9 just to name a handful of verses).  I LOVED studying the Old Testament, and I encourage and challenge everyone to try an do it too.  It is rewarding and teaches so much.  Next items on the reading list, simultaneously, The Agony and Ecstasy: A Biography of Michelangelo, and the Book of Mormon.

Stay tuned as it gets closer to getting ready for college!!!:) These 10 days are going to go by speedy quick!
        



 

No comments:

Post a Comment